Monday, April 14, 2014

My Writing Process...

 
I've been invited to participate in the MY WRITING PROCESS blog hop...

1. What am I working on?
Yesterday I finished edits on my third novel. It's a contemporary romance tentatively titled, 'Full Pursuit'. This is the story of Nicole, a girl that gets tricked into planning her twin sister's wedding, and Chase, the handsome and determined cop that ends up being the Best Man. They first meet when Nikki gets pulled over for a broken taillight while wearing only her bra and panties. Naturally, Chase is taken with her from the start.

Despite the chemistry they seem to have, each has their own reasons and secrets that fill them with doubt. Can a weekend on the river be enough to overcome their fears, or is it over before it ever begins?



2. How does my work differ from others in its genre?


By default much of my writing falls into the New Adult (NA) category. This isn't by design. These are simply the stories that come to me. I happen to believe that the transition from your teens into full adulthood is an interesting time in a person's life. It only happens once. You're bound to make a few mistakes along the way due to changing emotions and inexperience.

One major difference between my books and those that are prominent in NA is that I write about average people with average lives. My characters, while flawed in their own way, aren't broken or tormented. They have struggles and obstacles that you might have yourself if you were in their shoes.




3. Why do I write what I do?


I only write the types of books that I would want to read myself. That's my benchmark. If I can't get drawn in by my own characters, then I'm not doing my readers any justice. That's not to say everyone will enjoy and connect with everything I create. We all have different tastes and interests. For me, it's about staying true to myself.


4. How does my writing process work?

My subconscious is in constant creative mode. I tend to get new book ideas at the most inconvenient times, like while driving. So what I do to preserve the information is to send myself an email with as much detail as possible so I can recall it all later. I have an entire folder full of stories waiting to be told.

Once I start a project I tend to fly by the seat of my pants. There's no outlining for this girl! I always know how I want to start and end a book, and maybe even a few key scenes throughout, but much of the middle is what flows when I sit down and start typing. I've even surprised myself a few times with some of the twists and turns I've written along the way. It's one thing to read a book and think 'wow, I didn't see THAT coming' but it is entirely different to be writing one and have that same reaction. In that sense, I can honestly say I'll never get bored with being an author!
 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'd like to thank author, Antonia Van Zandt, for inviting me to be a part of this exciting blog hop. Find, like, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter!!! You'll definitely want to keep her on your watch list!

I did attempt to spread the love. Unfortunately, everyone I invited to join in the fun either didn't have a blog of their own, or had already participated. So, I suppose, this thread ends with me. All good things must come to an end, though! Happy Reading, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment